background

Friday, November 12, 2010

If you're happy and you know it..


For the past few years I have worked as a group leader at Club Heights After School Program. This year is no exception. I get to work with the Kindergarten again this year. It is a lot of fun. And a lot of work. I get to hang with all the kids most the day, but spend an extra 45 minutes with just these adorable 5 year olds. This week has been especially difficult for Russ and I. We found out on Tuesday that Russ was laid off. I have been trying to have a good attitude and focus on school, work, and church stuff. Thursday I was on the stage (our afterschool classroom)with the kindergarteners. We were making Turkey hats. I was lost in thought thinking about grown up problems when a sweet little boy started singing, "If you're happy and you know it.." Pretty soon all of us were up singing and dancing and laughing. I felt silly for worrying about my grown up problems at work. I decided then and there that work is an opportunity for me to focus on these kids and THEIR needs. That can be very refreshing. I am here right now, surrounded by happy kids at Friday computers. No matter what's going on in the outside world, these kids sure know how to play. :)

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry my dear sweet friend. I know exactly what you mean and I think your post was beautiful. I love those kids so much too. They all have their own tough lives too, what great examples they are. They are lucky to have you as their group leader. Love you lots! HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the best for you and Russ during this tough time! Don't you just love your job! Working with kids is the best, they always just help you put things in perspective! They are so sweet and innocent and you can learn so much from them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You girls are right. :) And this little guy especially has a rough time in life. I just love him so much. He is strong and brave. We are super lucky to get to work work with these kiddos.

    ReplyDelete